Tobias has been researcher at the Ukraine Program at the Command and Staff College since it was established in 2020. He is an historian educated at the Free and Humboldt Universities of Berlin. Tobias has also studied European Studies and political science.
Tobias´s research deals with the origins of the Russian-Ukrainian War, Russian information operations in Ukraine and civil-military cooperation in Ukraine´s defense (total defense). Tobias has also researched Norwegian and German security policy.
Tobias takes an interest in history and current affairs of Eastern Europe, particularly Ukraine and Russia. He also a student of global history and wrote his M.A. thesis on the Russo-Japanese War and how this massive war was viewed in Europe at the time (1904-1905)
Previously, Tobias worked as an intern at the Norwegian embassy in Berlin. He has a background as mountain biker at the Norwegian national team.
- The Russo-Ukrainian War since 2014
- Russian-Ukrainian relations
- Ukrainian domestic politics and identity
- Security policy and NATO-Russia relations
- German-Norwegian security policy relations, particularly since 1945
- German security policy
- East Asia-Europe relations historically, perceptions of «the other»