Tobias is researcher at a project on Ukraine at the Command and Staff College. He is an historian educated at the Free and Humboldt Universities of Berlin (M.A., global history). Tobias has also studied European Studies and political science.
Tobias´s ongoing Ukraine research deals with a variety of aspects related to the Russo-Ukrainian war since 2014, including Russian influence operations in Ukraine and Ukraine´s response to these. Tobias has also researched Norwegian and German security policy and policy towards Russia.
Tobias takes an interest in broad historical processes. His master thesis on the Russo-Japanese War looked at the role of ideologies in shaping European world views and perceptions of non-Europeans at the turn of the 19th century.
Previously, Tobias worked as an intern at the Norwegian embassy in Berlin. He has a background as a semi-professional mountain biker and junior and U23 athlete at the Norwegian national team.
- The Russo-Ukrainian War since 2014
- Russian-Ukrainian relations
- Ukrainian domestic politics and identity
- Security policy and NATO-Russia relations
- German-Norwegian security policy relations, particularly since 1945
- German security policy
- East Asia-Europe relations historically, perceptions of «the other»